Sunday, June 6, 2010

Old Fashioned Spoonbread

Michael says that folks have been asking for a good spoonbread recipe. Back story is I get cookbooks out of the library for us to drool over. If something looks good, I make the recipe to see if we'll like it. We saw a recipe for spoonbread and Michael said he'd been wanting some for years. I'd never had any, so it was time to make some! The recipe in the cookbook called for stuff I didn't have, so I did a google search and came upon this recipe. The spoonbread was delicious. Try it, you'll like it!

Old Fashioned Spoonbread
3/4 cup cornmeal, stone or water ground if available
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder

(I added some shredded cheddar cheese and a can of yellow hominy for fun)

Combine cornmeal and salt in mixing bowl. Stirring constantly, slowly add boiling water, keeping cornmeal smooth. Mix in the melted butter. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until they thicken, add the milk and beat to combine. Add eggs and milk to cornmeal and mix in the baking powder. (At this point, I added the cheese and can of hominy. Creamed corn would be good too...) Turn in to a square 8 or 9 inch well-greased baking pan. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until firm. Serve with plenty of butter. We had ours with our wonderful cranberry beans.

This was delicious, and a fun break from corn bread--it is a bit more pudding like than cornbread. You can eat it with (ahem) a spoon.

Enjoy!
HM

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This sounds like a dish my aunt makes for the holidays...and there's never leftovers! I think she adds whole corn kernels, but I have a bunch of creamed corn to use up, so creamed corn it is!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Phil said...

Thanks for putting this up, I was giving the Dark Lord a hard time for not doing it.
That cracks me up to this day, Dark Lord.
LOL!
I'll have to give this a try.