Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Very Telling Quote

McDonough manages to say *exactly* what is wrong with Big Food, Big Pharma, Big Medicine in America in 81 words. Good job!


So here's where I get radical. Over many years, we have developed U.S. food and medical systems with enormous financial stakes in the occurrence and maintenance of chronic diseases which are preventable and reversible. We spend vast sums of money subsidizing a U.S. food system that guarantees an endless flow of new individuals with food-induced chronic disease. (Esselstyn, smartly, calls heart disease a "food-borne illness.") And then we spend vast sums of money paying for medical services to care for people with these preventable and reversible conditions.

And we spend next to nothing to prevent or reverse these conditions -- unless, of course, the preventative is a profitable procedure, drug, or device.--John E. McDonough, Health Stew

From "Statins, Chronic Disease and the Definition of Insanity," Health Stew, March 11, 2012


Onwards,
HM

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

I need to get a message through to y'all. I would have called but it is late. Jesse Mayo (YeOldFurt) had a massive heart attack. He was at home after a six way bypass, but went into a seizure and is now in ICU. He and his wife Roxanne need our prayers. I will call tomorrow.

Michael, the community needs you, now more than ever. It is falling apart. You bitch slapped me when I needed it, and I am forever grateful. You taught me so much. We need your guidance. It has fallen apart since you fell silent. I think your calling is to hold it together. You have the wisdom and the experience. You changed my life, and the lives of many others. The community needs you. I can't spread the message in the way you did...