Sunday, November 2, 2008

Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Dandelion Greens

I created this recipe today because I got a desire for this peanut sauce I used to serve over broccoli and rice and I hadn't made it in . . . what, 10 years? 15 years? A long time. I had totally forgotten about it and probably woke up some time last night hungry for the stuff.

Ingredients
Big bunch of dandelion greens (or lambsquarter or whatever you've got)
Noodles of your choice (I used ramen-type noodles, but spagetthi would have worked too)

Sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I used a little bit more than that)
2 TBS tamari sauce (soy would work or Bragg's amino sauce, which is what I had on hand)
2 TBS molasses or barley malt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I used the stuff I ground yesterday from our cayennes)

In a small sauce pan, whisk the peanut butter and the hot water until you have a uniform mixture. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients.

Wash and cut up dandelion greens, put in pot with water to cover and boil for 5-7 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid to drink later as a tonic (optional, but I drink it for the vitamins).

Bring another big pot of water to boil, add noodles, cook until done, drain.

Put 'em all together, get it all mixed up nice, and chow down. YUM.

Michael liked it, asked for seconds, but said it'd be better with some beef. That's not a bad idea. Pork would be good too, probably.

Dandelion greens are a bit bitter for most folks, I think. I have a sour tooth as opposed to a sweet tooth, and I like dandelion greens, but not plain. I sure liked them today!
HM

1 comment:

treesong said...

We must have peanuts on the brain! I went to bed last night thinking of peanut grilled chicken. Will have to try your recipe. Treesong